Sopot Museum

The Museum of Sopot was established in February 2001. A historic holiday villa of the Gdansk merchant Ernst August Claaszen, built between 103 and 1904 in a garden right next to the beach in Sopot, was chosen as the seat of the newly established institution. The villa's architect was Walter Schulz. Now its ground floor houses a permanent exhibition on the history of the villa and its inhabitants, while the ground floor is occupied by temporary exhibitions.

The collections of the Sopot Museum include around 10,000 historical exhibits and works of art. The collection includes objects of painting, graphics, sculpture and artistic craftsmanship illustrating the history of the city and the region, as well as documents, maps, photographs, and postcards related to Sopot and other places, mainly seaside resorts. The core of the collection is constituted by historical objects (photographs, postcards, documents) closely connected with Sopot, often donated by the inhabitants of the city. The museum also has a large number of art exhibits and objects of everyday use from, among others, the Sopot Casino. The collection also includes personal trinkets such as jewellery, toiletries, decorated thimbles, items of clothing (including the wedding dress of Ruth Koch, née Claaszen), swimming costumes (from Germany and England) and ladies' evening bags.

Particularly noteworthy is a collection of baroque Danzig and eclectic furniture from the late 19th and early 20th centuries, English prints from around 1800, Danzig baroque engravings and Dutch faience from Delft. Several pieces of furniture from the 18th-19th century, a copper water vat from the early 18th century, prints by G. Morland from the turn of the 18th-19th century and a late Baroque chandelier - all from the original furnishings and decoration of the villa, which were returned to Sopot in 2005 after the death of Ruth Koch (née Claaszen). A highly prized object is an English wine cooler from the 3rd quarter of the 18th century, rarely found in Polish collections.

Актуальні вистави в музеї

Опис місця

The Museum of Sopot was established in February 2001. A historic holiday villa of the Gdansk merchant Ernst August Claaszen, built between 103 and 1904 in a garden right next to the beach in Sopot, was chosen as the seat of the newly established institution. The villa's architect was Walter Schulz. Now its ground floor houses a permanent exhibition on the history of the villa and its inhabitants, while the ground floor is occupied by temporary exhibitions.

The collections of the Sopot Museum include around 10,000 historical exhibits and works of art. The collection includes objects of painting, graphics, sculpture and artistic craftsmanship illustrating the history of the city and the region, as well as documents, maps, photographs, and postcards related to Sopot and other places, mainly seaside resorts. The core of the collection is constituted by historical objects (photographs, postcards, documents) closely connected with Sopot, often donated by the inhabitants of the city. The museum also has a large number of art exhibits and objects of everyday use from, among others, the Sopot Casino. The collection also includes personal trinkets such as jewellery, toiletries, decorated thimbles, items of clothing (including the wedding dress of Ruth Koch, née Claaszen), swimming costumes (from Germany and England) and ladies' evening bags.

Particularly noteworthy is a collection of baroque Danzig and eclectic furniture from the late 19th and early 20th centuries, English prints from around 1800, Danzig baroque engravings and Dutch faience from Delft. Several pieces of furniture from the 18th-19th century, a copper water vat from the early 18th century, prints by G. Morland from the turn of the 18th-19th century and a late Baroque chandelier - all from the original furnishings and decoration of the villa, which were returned to Sopot in 2005 after the death of Ruth Koch (née Claaszen). A highly prized object is an English wine cooler from the 3rd quarter of the 18th century, rarely found in Polish collections.

Галерея

© 2024 GoOut, s.r.o., Чехія