Актуальні виставки в галереї
The Zdeněk Sklenář Gallery was founded in the mid-nineties in the East Bohemian town of Litomyšl. It is named after its founder and owner, Zdeněk Sklenář, who is the nephew and namesake of one of the best Czech painters of the twentieth century. In 1999 the Zdeněk Sklenář Gallery expanded its activities to Prague and in 2001 it opened its doors at Smetanovo nábřeží 4, which is only a few blocks from the former studio of Zdeněk Sklenář, the painter. These renowned exhibition spaces were destroyed during a massive gas explosion on 29. 4. 2013.
Currently the Zdeněk Sklenář Gallery has its gallery located in Salvátorská street 6, near the Church of the Holy Saviour. The new gallery was decorated by Josef Pleskot and it is a part of the neo-Baroque and Art Nouveau buildings which were constructed between 1899-1909 by Osvald Polivka.
The Zdeněk Sklenář Gallery is part of the founding generation of the new art market which emerged in the Czech lands after 1989. The gallery built its reputation on its delicate approach, bringing together top artists of both the established artistic canon and new trends in contemporary art. To date, the gallery has organised more than two hundred solo and group exhibitions, not only in the Czech Republic but elsewhere in Europe, the United States and China, mainly in collaboration with renowned museums and institutions – NAMOC, CAFA, MOCA, L Art Gallery Chengdu, the Today Art Museum, the Ludwig Museum in Koblenz, ZKM Karlsruhe (Germany), Pori (Finland) and many others. Educational activities and publishing form a natural part of the exhibition programme. The gallery has brought out over five hundred publications, tracing the connections between literature, philosophy and the arts in the international context. The gallery also produces films dealing with art.
The gallery has a pioneering position in relation to the establishment of links with China. It was the first Czech private gallery to organise an exhibition in collaboration with the National Art Museum of China in 2005. The exhibition František Kupka – Man and Earth broke new ground in terms of creating a cultural dialogue between China and the Czech Republic.