The Philharmonie has been the musical heart of Berlin for more than 50 years. When it opened in 1963, it was still located on the periphery of West Berlin, but after reunification it became part of the new urban center. Its unusual, tent-like shape and its yellow color, which shines from afar, make it one of the city's landmarks. Its unusual architecture and novel concert hall design initially sparked controversy, but it now serves as a model for concert halls around the world.
"One person in the face of another, arranged in circles, in a mighty swinging arc around a striving crystal pyramid." As early as 1920, architect Hans Scharoun noted those words as a vision for the ideal theater space. From this idea, he developed the Great Hall of the Philharmonie 35 years later, in which the podium with the musicians forms the center.