Staatsoper Unter den Linden is the first opera house and the most culturally and historically significant theatre in Berlin. It is located in the historic Mitte district on the Boulevard Unter den Linden. The building was part of the Forum Fridericianum and was originally the royal court opera from 1741–43. The building was designed by Georg Wenzelslaus von Knobelsdorff in the Palladian architectural style. It was the first detached opera house in Germany and was, in its time, the largest opera house in Europe.