Pinkas Synagogue

Pinkas Synagogue

Address Široká 3, Praha 1
Institution Jewish Museum

Current museum exhibitions

Share
Share

Venue description

The present building is the work of the Horowitz family. In 1535 Aaron Meshullam Horowitz had it built beween his house “U Erbů” and the site of the Old Jewish Cemetery. After the Second World War, the synagogue was turned into a Memorial to the Jews of Bohemia and Moravia murdered by the Nazis. On its walls are inscribed the names of the Jewish victims, their personal data, and the names of the communities to which they belonged. In 1968, however, the Memorial had to be closed because ground water had penetrated the building´s foundations, thus endangering the structure. During work on the underground waterproofing of the building, a discovery was made of vaulted spaces with an ancient well and ritual bath. The Communist regime deliberately held up renovation work and the inscriptions were removed. Not until 1990 was it possible to complete the building alterations. Finally, in 1992-1994, the 80,000 names of the Jewish victims of Bohemia and Moravia were rewritten on its walls.

Transportation

Fill in the name of nearest stop or street from where would you like to go and search the best transport connection.

Photos

Similar venues

Jewish Museum
Share
Maisel Synagogue
Share
Spanish Synagogue
Share
Klausen Synagogue
Share
Ceremonial Hall
Share
Old Jewish Cemetery
Share
Auditorium OVK ŽMP
Share
Toy Museum
Share
Bedřich Smetana Museum
Share
Náprstek Museum
Share
Museum of Alchemists
Share
National Memorial on the Vítkov Hill
Share

© 2018 GoOut