Maisel Synagogue

Maisel Synagogue

Address Maiselova 10, Praha 1
Institution Jewish Museum

Current museum exhibitions

Share

Venue description

The Maisel Synagogue was built in 1590 – 1592 by the Mayor of the Jewish Town, Mordechai Maisel, who funded the extensive Renaissance reconstruction of the ghetto. The builders of this synagogue were Josef Wahl and Juda Goldsmied de Herz. The original building was seriously damaged by fire in 1689 and was then renovated in the Baroque style. In the end, it was considerably rebuilt to a pseudo-Gothic design by Prof. A Grott in 1893-1905. All that remained intact of the original Renaissance layout was the groundplan of the tripartite central hall with the upper-storey women´s section. The Maisel Synagogue is currently used by the Jewish Museum as an exhibition venue and depository.

Transportation

Fill in the name of nearest stop or street from where would you like to go and search the best transport connection.

Similar venues

Jewish Museum
Share
Spanish Synagogue
Share
Pinkas Synagogue
Share
Klausen Synagogue
Share
Ceremonial Hall
Share
Old Jewish Cemetery
Share
Auditorium OVK ŽMP
Share
Lobkowicz Palace
Share
Old–New Synagogue
Share
Loreta
Share
Podskalská celnice na Výtoni
Share
The City of Prague Museum – Main Building
Share

© 2018 GoOut