The Gropius Bau (Gropius Building) was built in 1881 as a royal art museum. Today, the building is named after its architect, Martin Gropius, the great uncle of Walter Gropius. Together with Heino Schmieden, Martin Gropius designed the brick building in the style of the Renaissance.
The Gropius Bau hosts approximately 10 major exhibitions each year in the fields of art, archaeology, photography and cultural history. Representative exhibitions are often carried out in cooperation with Berlin-based and international partners. Several of the exhibitions are designed to introduce the broad general public to major current developments in art and the major cultures in the world. The museum also has a bookstore, a restaurant and café and a space for lectures and films.