The Bröhan Museum is an internationally renowned museum specializing in Art Nouveau, Art Deco and Functionalism (1889–1939). The museum bears the name of its founder, Karl H. Bröhan (1921–2000), who gifted his extensive private collection to Berlin on the occasion of his 60th birthday.
The collection is divided into the main areas of decorative arts and painting. The objects are presented as “room ensembles” where select works made of glass, ceramics, porcelain, silver and metal are combined with furniture, rugs, lamps, prints and paintings. The rooms illustrate the development from Art Nouveau (Jugendstil) – as a precursor of modernism – to Art Deco and Functionalism. The museum’s porcelain collection is also extraordinarily rich and includes works from manufacturers in Berlin, Copenhagen, Meißen, Nymphenburg, Sèvres and Rörstrand.
Paintings of the Berlin Secession by Karl Hagemeister, Willy Jaeckel and Walter Leistikow are also part of the museum’s collection. The permanent exhibitions are rounded out by special exhibitions – mostly in cooperation with international institutions – as well as cultural and scientific events.