Bode-Museum

Bode-Museum

Address Am Kupfergraben, Berlin
Website www.smb.museum

Current museum exhibitions

Share
Gegenüberstellungen
Guided tour,
Share
Share
Share
Share
Share
Gegenüberstellungen
Guided tour,
All events

Venue description

The planning commission for the Kaiser-Friedrich Museum, which was renamed the Bode Museum in 1956, was handed over to Wilhelm II by Oberbaurat Ernst von Ihne, one of the most famous representatives of the “Wilhelmine Baroque”. In order to make the building look as though it were growing out of the water, the architect grouped the three-winged building around several courtyards directly to the banks of the Spree.

The building was badly damaged in the Second World War and underwent several stages of restoration between 1948 and 1986. After extensive renovation work, the museum building reopened to the public in autumn 2006. It now principally houses the Sculpture Collection and Museum of Byzantine Art. With its collection of coins and medals, the Numismatic Collection is also housed at the Bode Museum, where it presents its chronicle of human history forged in metal.

Transportation

Fill in the name of nearest stop or street from where would you like to go and search the best transport connection.

Photos

Similar venues

Neuer Berliner Kunstverein
Share
Centrum Judaicum
Share
Keramik-Museum Berlin
Share
German Cinematheque – Museum of Film and Television
Share
Erstes Berliner DDR-Motorradmuseum
Share
Gedenkstätte Berliner Mauer
Share
Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin
Share
Deutsche Bank Kunsthalle
Share
FHXB Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg Museum
Share
Academy of Arts on Pariser Platz
Share
Georg Kolbe Museum
Share
Kupferstichkabinett
Share

© 2019 GoOut