The Museum of Pawiak Prison is one of the branches of the Museum of Independence. It commemorates the activities of the Pawiak Prison during the German occupation of 1939-1944. The Museum was opened on November 28, 1965. It has a branch – Mausoleum of Struggle and Martyrdom, located in the former Gestapo and SD headquarters in the Warsaw district at 25 Szucha Avenue. The Pawiak Prison Museum was established in 1965 on the initiative and with the participation of former Pawiak political prisoners. The entire architectural concept was designed by Romuald Gutt and Mieczysław Mołdawa.