The Museum of Independence is a cultural institution dedicated to the history of the Polish civic, military and political effort that led to the restoration of independence in 1918. The Museum of Independence was established on 30 January 1990 as the Museum of the History of Polish Independence and Social Movements. The main seat of the new institution was established by the Ministry of Culture and Art in the Przebendowski/Radziwiłł Palace, where the Lenin Museum was previously located (1955-1989). The collection warehouses, historical departments and library were located in the pavilion near the Ujazdowski Castle. The pavilion was taken from the Museum of Independence by the MKiS and transferred to the seat of the Monuments Documentation Center (in 1991 and 1993). The Museum of Independence also included two martyrological departments: the 10th C.W. Pavilion and the Pawiak Prison Museum.