The Tumult Foundation was established at the beginning of 1989 by Marek Żydowicz, a graduate of the Faculty of Fine Arts at the Nicolaus Copernicus University. It was one of the first private cultural foundations in Poland, operating independently of the then cultural institutions and authorities. From the very beginning, the Foundation’s objective has been to initiate, support and implement activities in the field of culture, art and humanities. The headquarters of the Tumult Foundation is a former Evangelical church, located in the middle of the New Town Market in Toruń. The church was built in 1818-1824 according to a design prepared by Karol Fryderyk Schinkel (one of the most eminent architects of the first half of the 19th century in Europe).