Pinkas Synagogue

Pinkas Synagogue

Adresse Široká 3, Praha 1
Verbunden mit Jewish Museum

Aktuelle Museumsausstellungen

Beschreibung des Ortes

The present building is the work of the Horowitz family. In 1535 Aaron Meshullam Horowitz had it built beween his house “U Erbů” and the site of the Old Jewish Cemetery. After the Second World War, the synagogue was turned into a Memorial to the Jews of Bohemia and Moravia murdered by the Nazis. On its walls are inscribed the names of the Jewish victims, their personal data, and the names of the communities to which they belonged. In 1968, however, the Memorial had to be closed because ground water had penetrated the building´s foundations, thus endangering the structure. During work on the underground waterproofing of the building, a discovery was made of vaulted spaces with an ancient well and ritual bath. The Communist regime deliberately held up renovation work and the inscriptions were removed. Not until 1990 was it possible to complete the building alterations. Finally, in 1992-1994, the 80,000 names of the Jewish victims of Bohemia and Moravia were rewritten on its walls.

Verbindungen

Um die beste Verbindung zu finden, gib einfach die Haltestelle oder Straße ein, von der Du losfahren willst.

Fotos

Ähnliche Orte

Jewish Museum
Maisel Synagogue
Spanish Synagogue
Klausen Synagogue
Ceremonial Hall
Old Jewish Cemetery
Auditorium OVK ŽMP
Museum Complex of the National Museum
Czech Museum of Music
Bedřich Smetana Museum
Náprstek Museum of Asian, African and American Cultures
Toy Museum

© 2020 GoOut